Tuesday 23 March 2010

Improvisation Workshops: Week 5: Documentation

For some time, I've been dropping hints to the Impro group that there's more to this project than working on our skills, important though that is. Last week we were mostly feeling under the weather, so I decided to spend the session talking about it. I said that I was trying to build a company, partly because I like to make theatre with others and I'm sick of trying to do it on my own, but also to explore the possibility of integrating live, proximate performance with technology in a new way. As I've said elsewhere, much of the experimentation I see along those lines seems dull at best from an actors point of view; the artistry is not primarily in the performance of it.

I outlined some ideas and suggested we might try two things: An on-campus experiment in adapting theApplause Game to new media sometime in the next term and a cross-platform performance for the upcoming Poolside Emergency festival at the Bluecoat in Liverpool. We started batting some ideas around (with, as J pointed out, considerable complicity) and before we knew it, we had the beginnings of a show. I don't want to talk about it too much just yet, but my notes from that first meeting, enough to tantalize you I hope, can be seen below:

No comments:

Post a Comment